A while ago I decided to test some services that could speed up my site worldwide. I took some steps that decreased my page load time immediately:
- Installed the W3 Total Cache plugin (I'm a WordPress user) to set cache headers, minify CSS and JS, etc.
- Installed the Smush.it plugin to optimize my images without lossing quality (lossless)
- Transferred my site to a new hosting provider/solution
This first move was already a good one, page load times decreased and my site felt fast. But, as I could see in Google Analytics the page load times outside the Netherlands (where my hosting provider hosts) weren't as good as I hoped. So I took the next step by adding a CDN to my site. This was the situation before any optimization: